WHAT IS CENTRAL PROVIDENCE OPPORTUNITIES?
Central Providence Opportunities (CPO) is a two-year, $8-million, place-based effort to improve economic mobility for residents in the nine neighborhoods located in the 02908 and 02909 ZIP codes: Elmhurst, Federal Hill, Hartford, Manton, Mount Pleasant, Olneyville, Silver Lake, Smith Hill, and Valley. Economic mobility is the likelihood that children achieve a higher standard of living than the household in which they were born.
ONE Neighborhood Builders convenes CPO. By October 2022, we will:
• Invest $5 million in proven or promising initiatives that lead to increasing affordable housing, improving third-grade literacy, growing residents’ wages and skills, and supporting the profitability of local businesses.
• Amplify and coordinate the work of the Central Providence Health Equity Zone to address health disparities by improving social and economic conditions in 02908 and 02909.
• Suggest new public sector policies and legislation that will help us achieve our mission for the long-term.
• Learn how place-based, community-led transformation happens and develop baseline metrics to quantify economic mobility.
• Participate in a State-led scaling workgroup that will inform Rhode Island’s health equity zone expansion strategy and its comprehensive approach to place-based equitable revitalization.