ONE Neighborhood Builders is in search of a talented individual to support management of our growing real estate portfolio (see job description below).
Interested candidates must submit a resume, thoughtful cover letter, and compensation requirement to Jennifer Hawkins, email@example.com.
ONE Neighborhood Builders (ONE|NB), formerly Olneyville Housing Corporation, is a community development organization with a mission to promote equity, public health and community safety in Providence’s neighborhoods. We accomplish our mission through:
• Strategic real estate development to increase the availability of affordable homes, spur economic development, and protect our natural resources;
• Engagement of residents and community-based organizations to build trust and collective problem-solving; and
• Development of individuals’ financial capabilities so that they may realize their personal asset building goals.
The organization is headquartered in the Olneyville neighborhood of Providence and, when at full complement, has a total of seventeen full and part-time employees. The annual operating budget is approximately $2.5 million. The agency has an affordable rental portfolio of 377 affordable apartments, of which 348 units are part of 10 LIHTC projects. The portfolio also includes one stand-alone commercial building, five storefront commercial spaces, and four community spaces – totaling over 50,000sf. The agency also serves as the management agent for two condominium developments, with a total of 30 homes.
The Assistant Director of Asset Management (ADAM) is a newly created position. The ADAM will report to the Director of Asset Management and will work directly with the Executive Director on new initiatives. The ADAM will co-supervise the part-time Maintenance Technician.
The ADAM will have two broad responsibility areas, with approximately equal time spent between these two areas.
I. Asset Management
Serve as an apprentice to the Director of Asset Management for up to 18 months, during which time the ADAM will obtain the necessary skills and qualifications to assume the role of Director.
• Work with Director of Asset Management to learn the NeighborWorks Multi Family Initiative reporting metrics and how these metrics are calculated, reported, and evaluated;
• Help oversee third party property management company to ensure optimum property performance according to these metrics;
• Attend property inspections with Director of Asset Management, as conducted by funding agencies and ensure inspections result in no findings;
• Help Director of Asset Management to identify small capital repair projects, seek funding to complete the work, procure contractors, and oversee work of contractors on job site to ensure these projects are completed on-time and with-in budget;
• Support the Director of Asset Management with oversight of commercial/community spaces, which includes leasing these spaces and overseeing maintenance of the standalone commercial building (66 Chaffee).
II. New Initiatives
The following pilot projects reflects innovations for the organization. As a result, the ADAM will report to the Executive Director on these new initiatives.
Provide property management services (leasing, rent collection, maintenance) for six apartments located in four buildings in Providence. Supervise the Maintenance Technician to perform the required maintenance work.
Minor Home Repair
Work with the Chief of Staff to launch a discrete home repair program as part of the agency’s new Central Providence Village initiative. Supervise the Maintenance
Technician to perform the required “chores.” Assess and procure contractors on behalf of Village members.
Oversee, and troubleshoot, as needed, the effort to allocate five apartments to
chronically homeless and disabled individuals; this work will require close coordination with the referring agency (RI Housing) and the social service partner (Providence Community Health Center).
For the past several months, ONE|NB has provided eviction prevention services via an independent contractor. We are evaluating whether to expand and formalize this work via the creation of a Resident Services Coordinator position. The ADAM will be responsible for learning best practices in resident services delivery and impact measurement. Using research and evidence produced from the independent contractor, the ADAM will help to make the economic case that an investment in this position will result in improved outcomes for residents and the financial performance of the apartments in which they reside.
Other Work To be Determined
ONE|NB is a dynamic and growing organization. The ADAM will be asked to take on additional work as the needs of the organization shift. The opportunity for professional growth is tremendous.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Five years related work experience, preferably in the housing development,
construction management and/or property management fields
• Verifiable financial management experience
• Advanced knowledge of Excel
• Strong project management skills (ability to develop and implement complex work plans)
• Strong writing and verbal communication skills
• Commitment to the mission of the organization
• Available to work occasional evenings, with overtime as needed to during intense work periods
• Comfortable working in urban neighborhoods
• Celebrates diversity of workstyles, cultural backgrounds, and job tasks
• Solid sense of humor and ability to quickly change course