The Director of Finance is a member of the senior management team and reports to the Executive Director. The Director of Finance participates in quarterly board meetings and must be prepared to competently communicate directly with the Board Treasurer. This position supervises a Bookkeeper/Office Manager.
This position fulfills all accounting functions, with a heavy emphasis on government grant accounting. This position also fulfills strategic direction and fiscal planning for the agency – including developing agency-wide and programmatic budgets and working with staff to fundraise and ensure full allocation of expenses to grant budgets. The Director of Finance is responsible for all human resources matters for the agency. Lastly, the Director of Finance must work closely with the real estate development team to obtain and manage pre-development and construction funding (grants and loans) to acquire and build real estate.
Key Functional Responsibilities and Tasks
- Prepare and maintain general ledger details and accounting records of all funds.
- Review monthly balance sheets and revenues/expenditures statements and perform balance sheet account analysis.
- Coordinate monthly closing and production/distribution of financial statements to guarantee timely reporting.
- Close the general ledger monthly and prepare detailed and summary financial statements; research and reconcile discrepancies
- Compile all required documentations for auditors and be responsive to all auditor requests; make all adjusting entries upon completion.
- Manage all inter-company transactions.
- Maintain rolling cash flow reports for operating and capital balances; monitor cash balances in operating accounts and coordinate cash transfers as necessary
- Complete bank reconciliations on a monthly basis for nine accounts
- Assist with purchasing and procurement according to agency policy.
- Review & monitor individual grants and track grant transactions for compliance with fund requirements, billing and collections.
- Prepare multiple grant requisitions to collect funds for the support of restricted fund expenditures.
- Coordinate with staff to support proper and timely expenditure of grant funds in compliance with applicable guidelines and fund deadlines.
- Establish & maintain spreadsheets to monitor the allocation of grants to cover program and personnel expenses.
Real Estate Development and Management
- Track pre-development costs and determine which costs can be capitalized
- Track development requisitions and enter as receivables.
- Work with auditor to account for property sales and transfer of assets between companies.
- Bring accounting activity from third-party property management company to ONE|NB books on a quarterly basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of GAAP and its application in the real estate development sector.
- Strong preference with experience of the Low Income Housing Tax Credit source
- Non-profit accounting experience.
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with all levels of employees.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with internal and external stakeholders.
- High degree of initiative and follow through.
- Excellent organizational development skills with the ability to supervise staff and participate in strategic planning.
- Proficient user of Peachtree (Sage).
- Expert knowledge of Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance. CPA and MBA are highly desirable
- 10 years of general accounting experience, including at least 5 years of experience with grant accounting in a non-profit organization.
- Experience in the real estate industry is essential, preferably within the affordable housing sector.
- Enjoys working in a casual, all hands-on-deck office culture.
- Comfortable working in an urban neighborhood.
- Celebrates diversity of work-styles, cultural backgrounds, and job tasks.
- Solid sense of humor and ability to quickly change course.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $75,000.00 to $85,000.00 /year
- Accounting: 10 years (Required)
- Grant Accounting: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Health insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
Please address your cover letter and resume to Jennifer Hawkins, Executive Director at email@example.com.