We are excited to announce that ONE|NB is looking for a qualified individual to fill the newly-created Deputy Director position. For more information, please refer to the job description below. Interested applicants must e-mail a resume and thoughtful cover letter (with salary requirement) to Jennifer Hawkins, Executive Director, at email@example.com by December 19th.
ONE|NB is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
The Deputy Director (DD) is a newly created position reporting to the Executive Director (ED). The DD will regularly serve as the ED’s surrogate at internal and external meetings and will supervise two departments, with a total team of 6 individuals. The DD’s position is a unique blend of two conventional positions, that of a director of real estate development and a chief financial officer. The DD will be an essential partner with the ED to help drive the agency’s strategic expansion and will be especially vital in ensuring the internal operations of the agency are adequately prepared for expansion. The ideal candidate is a mission-driven, entrepreneurial, highly skilled financial analyst, with verifiable real estate development acumen.
ONE Neighborhood Builders (ONE|NB) is a community development organization with a mission to promote equity, public health and community safety in Providence’s neighborhoods. We accomplish our mission through:
• Strategic real estate development to increase the availability of affordable homes, spur economic development, and protect our natural resources;
• Engagement of residents and community-based organizations to build trust and collective problem-solving;
• Development of individuals’ financial capabilities so that they may realize their personal asset building goals.
Olneyville Housing Corporation, founded in 1988, changed its name to ONE Neighborhood Builders when it merged with Community Works Rhode Island in 2015.
At full complement, ONE|NB has 16 full-time equivalent team members. ONE|NB is a NeighborWorks America charter member and is governed by an active Board of Directors consisting of ten members. The organization’s annual operating budget is ~$2.5 MM.
REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT
ONE|NB has developed over 500 affordable homes in historically-disinvested Providence neighborhoods since 2000. The agency presently owns 380 apartments, providing high-quality, affordable housing for Rhode Island families, including individuals who have experienced homelessness. ONE|NB has completed 10 Low-Income Housing Tax Credit projects, totaling over $100 million of investment.
ONE|NB has developed more than 50,000 square feet of commercial space currently leased to twelve local businesses and community-based organizations – supporting entrepreneurs, artists, and child
development agencies. The agency will be breaking ground on an 8500sf Head Start center in spring of 2020.
ONE|NB’s current development projects include: King Street Commons – a $17 MM project consisting of 30 new, affordable apartments that will replace a blighted and environmentally-contaminated site along with the preservation and recapitalization of 32 existing homes; Sheridan Small Homes – a five-unit affordable, zero-energy condominium development adjacent to the neighborhood’s park and bike path; Manton Live/Work Townhomes – four innovative mixed-use properties along the neighborhood’s commercial corridor with a living space, personal work-studio, and attached rental apartment; and Delaine Street Apartments – an eight-unit rental project that will replace three nuisance and abandoned properties with new housing for low-income families.
HOMEOWNERSHIP & FINANCIAL CAPABILITY PROMOTION
ONE|NB works with over 250 families per year providing budgeting assistance, credit counseling, financial capability coaching, homeownership education, as well as, eviction and foreclosure prevention – ensuring ONE|NB renters and home-buyers are financially secure and have the foundation to achieve their personal goals. ONE|NB recently opened its Elmwood Financial Center on Broad Street, which provides a central, highly visible, drop-in location where clients can request information, set up appointments, receive time-sensitive financial counseling and coaching, and attend classes.
ONE|NB leads the Central Providence Heath Equity Zone charged with reducing health disparities through place-based interventions in Olneyville and three adjacent Providence neighborhoods. As of summer 2019, the agency also manages a Community Health Worker Registered Apprenticeship program with five other local employers through which community members connect their peers to health and social services, provide social support, and promote self-advocacy.
ONE|NB believes in the importance of meaningful resident engagement in community-building efforts. The agency is the convener of The Collaborative, a coalition of over 25 neighborhood organizations. The Collaborative hosts several annual projects including a community festival, a neighborhood clean-up, and a neighborhood newsletter. We also work with residents through the Homeowner’s Club to improve awareness of key community resources/events, identify and encourage advocacy around issues impacting residents, and provide valuable training opportunities to increase residents’ sense of being agents of change.
Strengthening Community Institutions
ONE|NB works closely with local service providers to connect individuals with vital resources to improve community health, education, and safety. In summer 2019, ONE|NB received an award through the RI Department of Education for the 5-year renewal of William D’Abate Elementary School’s afterschool and summer enrichment programming. This 21st Century Community Learning Center, a collaboration with Brown University’s Swearer Center, is intended to help students build academic skills and develop socially and emotionally, while teaching the value of responsible decision-making and critical thinking. Additionally, in June 2019, ONE|NB launched the Central Providence Healthy Aging Network, a membership “Village” designed to equip older adults with tools to age-in-community.
This full-time position is comprised of four key responsibilities:
• Real Estate Development and Management – overseeing a team of five team members (director of asset management, assistant director of asset management, assistant director of real estate development, design & construction fellow, and part-time real estate development consultant) the DD will lead and integrate all existing real estate activities, and work closely with the ED to expand and accelerate the real estate development pipeline. The work falls within three broad categories: (1) real estate production – with a focus on the creation of homes for extremely low- to moderate-income households; (2) asset management for the agency’s 381 apartments, two condominium associations, and 13 commercial spaces; and (3) property management for a small, but growing portfolio of apartments the agency self-manages.
ONE|NB seeks to diversify its real estate development activities – through geographic expansion, enhancing the income-diversity of its residents, utilizing new financing mechanisms, introducing innovative construction techniques, and developing new partnerships.
• Fiscal Management – the agency’s finances are complex and growing. The annual operating budget is approximately $2.5 million and the consolidated assets exceed $50 million. The agency is responsible for completing audits and annual filings for 12 affiliated corporate entities. Because of the nature of our work (real estate development), ONE|NB has an extensive notes payables schedule; refinancing/repositioning loans is often required and to do so the agency must maintain a complex collateral schedule. ONE|NB manages several large state contracts, and sub-contracts hundreds of thousands of dollars to community agencies; in this respect we act as a grant-maker. These state contracts require the tracking of federal/non-federal matching funds. The finance department is currently staffed by a senior accountant and part-time office manager/bookkeeper; these positions will report to the DD. The senior accountant also manages human resources for the agency.
ONE|NB seeks to strengthen the depth of its fiscal management through added personnel capacity, introduction of new technology to manage day-to-day accounting, production of improved financial reports and metrics to communicate fiscal status to stakeholders, and introducing new grant-tracking systems. The DD will serve as the bridge connecting fund-raising/earned-income development to financial management.
• Strategic development – as a member of the senior team (along with the director of community health integration and the director of resource development & communications) the DD will work closely with the ED to identify new areas of growth and offer advice on how best to capitalize on new opportunities. The DD will attend all board of director meetings and will represent the ED at internal and external meetings when the ED is not able to be present.
The successful candidate will be an experienced professional with an exceptional work-ethic, and committed to the vision and values of ONE|NB. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
• Bachelor’s degree at a minimum, advanced degree (Masters’ Degree in Business Administration, Real Estate Finance, or Public Administration) strongly preferred;
• Minimum of 10 years senior management experience related to the following: real estate development, financial management, and/or public policy;
• Experience supervising staff, and leading teams through growth and change;
• Enjoys fast-paced work environment and collaborating with a broad diversity of staff and partners;
• Skilled at multi-tasking;
• Highly adaptable and comfortable with ambiguity in the workplace;
• Mission-driven and passionate about ONE|NB and related constituencies;
• Good sense of self and strong personal presence;
• Willingness to work hard and creatively solve problems for which the answers aren’t always obvious; and
• Knowledge of Rhode Island community development field and key stakeholders desirable, but not essential.
The DD will be required to work a full-time schedule with some flexibility required on nights and weekends. ONE|NB offers a robust benefits package (including health, dental, and vision insurance), a retirement plan with matching contribution, a generous allotment of paid holiday and personal/vacation time, flexibility to occasionally telecommute from home, and an inspiring & innovative organizational culture. Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience.
Please e-mail a resume and thoughtful cover letter to Jennifer Hawkins, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org before December 19, 2019.