The Special Projects Officer (SPO) is an important role, enabling the Executive Director (ED) to work most effectively with internal and external stakeholders and fulfill her commitments to ONE Neighborhood Builders’ (ONE|NB) partners, funders, and the Board of Directors. The role requires a combination of research, project coordination, and administrative support. The position requires a candidate who is flexible, persistent, and independent. The SPO will regularly be asked to quickly respond to new responsibilities and must be able to see tasks through to completion with minimal oversight from the ED.
ONE Neighborhood Builders (ONE|NB) is a community development corporation founded in 1988 to promote the comprehensive revitalization of neighborhoods in Providence, RI. Our mission is to develop affordable housing and engage neighbors across Greater Providence to cultivate healthy, vibrant, and safe communities. We accomplish our mission through robust housing development and quality real estate management, addressing root causes of health disparities, and embracing innovation and building the community development field.
This full-time position reports directly to ONE|NB’s ED, and encompasses four primary responsibilities:
1. Preparation for, and facilitation of, “critical path” ED meetings (e.g., with current or potential ONE|NB partners, funders, government officials, internal leadership team, etc.). The SPO will be responsible for inviting and preparing participants and is accountable to ensure that the meeting objectives are realistic and that the ED is well-prepared.
2. Independent leadership of special ED-initiated projects that are often interdepartmental and therefore require coordination among the senior leadership team. This work may involve conducting research, attending community meetings, and synthesizing conversations to record next steps for the ED. Oversee transfer of the project to other staff as appropriate.
3. Executive assistance, including scheduling meetings, responding to emails, preparing presentations and materials for meetings, arranging travel, managing expense reimbursements, arranging gifts and events for special occasions with staff, and so forth. Administrative assistance to leadership team members may be required on occasion.
4. Coordinating the agency’s information knowledge and technology. This work encompasses supporting the Director of Strategic Initiatives who oversees the contract with ONE|NB’s third-party IT vendor and is responsible for purchasing hardware and software for the agency; managing ONE|NB’s adoption of Salesforce across departments; and working closely with data management consultants and ONE|NB staff to identify, collect, and distill metrics to track and evaluate impact.
Critical core competencies for successful performance in this role are:
• Highly-developed communications skills (written/verbal) and interpersonal savvy;
• Exemplary project management skills;
• Ability to successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fast-paced environment.
• The successful candidate will be a high-energy, proactive, direct communicator, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of ONE|NB.
• In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful candidate:
o Minimum two-year commitment to the role that would prepare the incumbent for a more general management role at ONE|NB or beyond;
o Minimum of three years of related work experience;
o Strong comfort with using, and teaching peers how to utilize, information technology;
o Willingness to work hard and take direction—but also creatively solve problems for which the answers aren’t always obvious; and
o Knowledge of ONE|NB and key community development stakeholders desirable but not essential.
The SPO will be required to work a full-time schedule with some flexibility required on nights and weekends. ONE|NB offers a robust benefits package (including health, dental, and vision insurance), a retirement plan with matching contribution, a generous allotment of paid holiday and personal/vacation time, flexibility to telecommute from home, and an inspiring and innovative organizational culture. Salary is commensurate with experience and may range from $45,000 to $60,000 annually.
ONE|NB is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter to Jennifer Hawkins, Executive Director at email@example.com.